|london fashion week official opening, september 2011
Fashion 2012 was the
official fashion industry activity for the Olympic year. Created by the
British Fashion Council (BFC), it was a central platform under which the
industry was able to showcase and celebrate British fashion. It
provided a core focus for the industry and a schedule for the major
fashion events and activities throughout London’s Olympic year.
Fashion 2012 had three key objectives – to celebrate and showcase our
extraordinary talent in the world of Fashion; to inspire and educate
young people to get involved with the industry; and to leave a legacy of
future support and nurturing for our fashion stars of tomorrow.
The programme was announced on 16th September 2011 at the opening of
London Fashion Week by BFC Chair Harold Tillman CBE and London Mayor
Fashion 2012 highlighted the breadth and depth of the talent in the UK and positioned London as THE creative capital.
Full image credits: Louis Smith (Gymnast), Heather Fell (Modern Pentathlete), London Mayor Boris Johnson, Laura Bailey, Erin O'Connor, Harold Tillman CBE, Poppy Delevingne, Anne Keothavong (Tennis Player) and Amy Williams (Bob Skeleton)
- A series of showcases and exhibitions including two London Fashion
Weeks in February and September, major exhibitions at the V&A and London Show Rooms international showcase promoting BFC designers abroad
- A joint BFC / British Council project bringing the world’s most
exciting emerging fashion designers to London for the Fashion 2012
International Fashion Showcase
- A major push for British Menswear featuring a series of activities both in the UK and abroad
- An educational project in collaboration with Adidas and the BFC’s Colleges Council
- The BFC / Bazaar Fashion Arts Foundation’s 2012 Showcase – Britain Creates 2012 – in collaboration with the Mayor of London